Friday, July 13, 2007

A Bird Humming & More Potty Training Chronicles

It's such a gorgeous sunny day ... fluffy clouds ...0% humidity ...and even a gentle breeze.

This is such a welcome relief after the extreme heat and humidity early in the week. I feel like today is the rainbow after the great flood. And in all honesty, would I be able to appreciate today so much if I had not suffered Sun. - Wed.?

The potty training continues. As the opening of school is Aug. 27th and looming closer, I get more and more anxious for Eric to be done. Sometimes I think we are making real progress ...like 2 times he's actually told us he had to go, and then did. And then I feel like he is developmentally behind ...like the other night when he pooped in his pull up twice within a 1/2 hour. I mean, what's so hard about going to the potty? I think math is way harder. Does this mean fractions and algebra are going to be worse than this? I dread the thought. I'll start praying now.

I have already turned potty training over to the Lord. When Eric says his prayers each night I also have him say, "Help me to pee in the potty and help me to poop in the potty, too." And then I have him say, "Be with mommy and daddy and help them have patience," because by bedtime we are almost all out.

One special moment yesterday morning when I told Eric to sit on the potty and he was ignoring me and trying to change the subject fast, he said, "Mommy, I just want to look in your window and see a bird humming." (We have humming bird feeders on our picture window and the little darlings are very active and fun to watch!) Potty training stopped being important for just that one minute, when I delighted in my son and his sweet little boyhood innocence.

Then I remembered that he was totally playing me to avoid the potty.

So we compromised. I pulled the little potty in the living room facing the window so he could sit and do business while he watched for ....

a bird humming!

No comments: